Saturday, September 8, 2012

Update 09/01/12 Ramblin' Man

I stated in the last post that this post would be about how blessed I am.  I had all these scriptures ready to share on the BeAttitudes of being blessed.  However, if you permit me to ramble a little bit, I will share with you a different version of how blessed I really am as a result of what has happened last Friday and Saturday.  I have always known how alive God’s Word is, but today (Saturday), I experienced this for myself.

You see, Friday was a very bad day.  I called my Transplant Coordinator to beg her to give me at least seven days of reprieve from my third medicine which is giving me the most trouble.  However, she said no.  I was so bummed.  I really wanted/needed relief.  So, I went to my room, shut out the lights and laid there feeling really sorry for myself.  Then Aaron came home and we talked about the Kingdom for a long time.  Seeing his love, not only for God, but God's Kingdom, gave me such joy and comfort, I was able to go to sleep to forget the pain.

Saturday morning Aaron and I went to the "Christian Surfers Daisy Paddle Out" to raise money for Daisy, Al Merrick’s granddaughter, who has to raise $500,000 for cancer treatment.  Chandler Brownlee picked us up and took us to the beach.  Well, the dredge had added a 100 yards of sand to the beach.  Before, I could just go down the stairs and into the ocean.  Now, 100 yards of sand was “a bridge too far.”  I went there to support Christian Surfers and add a picture of chemo-therapy for people to give more, but now I had to be carried to the beach, pulled out on the board, and pulled at least a half mile down the beach, and carried back.  My anemia took all the power out of my blood.

While in Teen Challenge, my favorite Spanish song was “Hay Poder en la Sangre;” (There is Power in the Blood).  I learned that first hand Saturday morning.  First, the Red blood cells carried me to the beach and brought me nourishment and strength; the White cells surrounded me and protected me from falling and getting hurt.  The Power in the Blood came from Jesus through His Body to build up what was lacking in my own blood.  Blessed?  Did I say how blessed I am?

However, I wrote the above Saturday afternoon, by night fall things took a very bad turn,  I then went for blood work, CAT Scan, mini-colonoscopy, and met with my transplant coordinator.  Results; side effects.  Still wouldn’t cut back my meds.  However, increased pain did not change the fact that I am blessed: my wife and son love God and His Kingdom more than their own lives; they love and support me more than I deserve.  My sisters and cousins all love Jesus; my friends are mentors and Kingdom minded.  Our home group prays for us and are available to help anytime we ask.  Our neighbors contstantly pray for us and bring us treats, especially chocolate. (See picture of recent visit by our great neighbors.)

So, here we are, a week later with one more week to go.  We can do this, but truly I will need your prayers and support to make it another week.  Then, I will have 36 more weeks to go!!!!!  Please pray that I will be able to make it and that the side effects will stop when dropping this one medication.  Either way, I will still be blessed.
With much Love and Respect,
Mike 
P.S.  Praise God the CT scan and biopsy were fine.  They believe the pain is caused by the meds and hopefully gone when medication is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment